The Duluth North Pier Lighthouse was completed in 1910 and marks the end of the north breakwater pier in the Duluth Ship Canal. It originally displayed a flashing white light. It now displays a flashing red light. The red color was added by adding red panels around the existing fresnel lens.
The tower is made of cast iron and was constructed on top of the concrete pier. It was equipped with a 5th order fixed fresnel lens manufactured by Henry LePaute of Paris, France. The lens was lit with an electric lamp and and the flash was provided by an electro mechanical flasher mechanism. The original lens is still in use, however the US Coast Guard proposed in May of 2014 replacing it with a modern LED optic. If it is replaced, the lens will likely be donated to the Lake Superior Marine Museum for restoration and display.